Captain Maxime Miron-Morin


RMC Class of 2013, aeronautical engineering

press to zoom

press to zoom

press to zoom

press to zoom

Double click on the photo to enlarge slideshow

Our cherished Maxime was 29 years old when he was lost in the CH-148 Cyclone helicopter crash 29 April 2020. The eldest of a family of 5 children, he had 3 brothers and a sister who was born last among his siblings. He always wanted a sister and was so excited when she arrived. Maxime was a child who loved spreading joy and happiness around him.


He was always in a good mood and was an extraordinary listener. He never spoke badly of anyone and always stayed neutral. Maxime had the ability to make each person feel unique and looked for the best in everyone. He knew how to be reassuring, able to coax people out of their comfort zones. Maxime was outgoing and took good care of others. He was able to adapt to any situation.

Maxime was a curious child from a very young age. No question remained unanswered. He came back to a subject frequently to obtain an answer. As his mother, I affectionately called him “Mr. Why?” because he would want to know why this and why that.

As a young boy, Maxime developed a passion for sports including soccer and running and was even a ping pong champion. To relax, he grabbed his Rubik’s Cube, which was always close at hand. Whether the cube was 3x3, 4x4, 5x5 or 8x8 and regardless of its shape or complexity, he never failed to succeed. He excelled at doing this and could even do it with his eyes closed.


The Canadian Armed Forces was the next step in Maxime’s life. He enrolled at the Royal Military College of Canada, initially attending the St-Jean campus then Kingston. He chose his military trade as a pilot and then as a navigator. He loved science and studied in aeronautical engineering.


As a strong leader, he held many positions at CMR St-Jean and RMC Kingston. It was in Kingston that he met his better half, Kathryn, who became his wife in 2014. After 5 years at the College, Max obtained his degree in aeronautical engineering, his commission (permission to command soldiers as an officer) and made countless lifelong friends.

He was stationed in Comox, British Columbia followed by Winnipeg, Manitoba. He had been based in Shearwater, Nova Scotia with his wife Kathryn for the past 5 years.

Maxime was intelligent and had a thirst for knowledge and learning. Nothing stopped him. In 2019, he completed his Master of Science in Oceanography at Dalhousie University in Halifax. Several of his colleagues were very surprised by the fact that he wrote his thesis in English, his second language, as the research was difficult, and his thesis was of a very high calibre.

When Maxime found out he was leaving on the HMCS Fredericton in support of the Navy in the Mediterranean Sea, he was very happy. He was going with his crew, his brothers and sisters, from the CH-148 Maritime Helicopter community. He was proud of his first mission and excited to put all his knowledge, training, energy, and talent to good use.

Maxime would have celebrated 12 years of service in the Canadian Armed Forces this past summer. We are proud of the man Max became. He had the opportunity to do what he wanted to do most in the world, fly.


He left us, surrounded by his second family, in the esprit de corps that makes soldiers so tight knit.